Friday, January 2, 2009

The Daniel Fast

So our new church is participating in the Daniel Fast! I am so excited about it. Unfortunately, I have not been very consistent in fasting. I have only done this sporadically since Teen Mania days. It's sad of what you let go of...the things that were such a bedrock and an integral part of your Christian walk. Although as a church we were set to start on January 4th, Darron announced to me over the phone from work that he was beginning his fast early, on December 30th. I thought that was definitely the Lord's leading for our family.

I am a huge believer in this: The way you exit a year is the way you will enter the next. Darron and I are so eager for the favor of the Lord and increase that we are willing to "buffet our flesh and its carnal appetites" for more of the Lord. So I decided to start early, too. I hadn't eaten anything yet, so why not?

On New Years' Eve, it had already been a day- and- a- half of a complete fast and the voice of the Lord was so much more pronounced! I love living like this! I love hearing His voice so effortlessly and without second-guessing. Sometime that afternoon Darron called me to ask me if I would consider going on a "Soup" Date with him. You see our Daniel Fast consists of the following diet: soups, juice and water. I am allowed salads/spinach and an occasional bowl of oatmeal or grits should I start loosing weight. Oh, and some wheat crackers. This will last 21 days (See the book of Daniel chapters 1:12; 10:3).

So when Darron invited me on a Soup Date on New Year's Eve, I just thought that was the sweetest invitation. He took me to La Madeline's and we had Tomato Basil soup and water. That has got to be one of my most memorable dates of 2008! Basking in the presence of my husband and my God. Does it get any better?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have one amazing man there Valencia! I'd love to meet him sometime! Hard to do from the other side of the world, I admit, but I'm home from time to time.

    I have a blog also, just pics and comments really, but feel free to check it out if you want. I'll try to send you an invite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on doing the Daniel fast and your new insigths. I hear that fast is a tough one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Valencia!

    I'm thrilled to see that you & Darron are doing so well in every area of life.
    You can never go wrong when you follow peace, so praise the Lord that you both were willing to be led by the Holy Spirit in regards to your new church home.
    God will ALWAYS give you the grace to do what HE has called you to do, so if He called you to fast, it will be a piece of cake! :) (sorry I didn't mean to tempt you).

    ReplyDelete