Sunday, January 4, 2009

Breaking the Spirit of Toil

I am such a go-getter by nature and I usually feel compelled to "make things happen" particularly if things seem to be moving too slowly. However, God in His great sovereignty has joined me with a man who is methodical (sometimes painfully methodical) so that I don't get ahead of God. The other day I was urging him, as we wives are so skillful at doing, to "make something happen" and to rectify a wrong that was done to him. While thoughtfully considering my passionate request, he said, "I'm going to pray about that, but I don't think that is what I am supposed to do." I wanted to add a quick, verbal jab about how God gave "me" to Him for just this very thing. To help him get moving and "get the lead out". You see, I abhor injustice and will often times take up the job of defending the ones I love in an effort to bring righteousness to a situation. While this "drive" is intricately woven throughout the fabric of my personality and is indeed a gift, it has, on many an occasion, gotten me in trouble when I ran ahead on my personal timetable and not on the Lord's.

Thankfully Darron, in his blessed, methodical way, sensed that God must be His defense. And boy was he right! That afternoon, the fifth day of our fast, that situation began to turn around. In fact, I dare say, we have already seen a 180 degree turn in our favor! What a God we serve!

While reading my Bible as Darron prepared a light Daniel-fast meal in the kitchen that evening, the Lord highlighted a passage for me in scripture found in Matthew chapter 6 that really caught my attention.

"So why do you worry about _________ (fill in the blank concerning the things you regularly worry about be it finances, clothing, career, children, etc.). Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all of his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' "For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you have need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

As we began to meditate upon this passage together, I realized that if I take up the cause to defend myself against wrongs done against me, then I will always have to take up that cause. That is pretty exhausting. Always looking over your shoulder. Always in a fighter's stance. That is the spirit of "toil". Clawing and scratching to make "your" way in the world. Is it any wonder why so many people hate Monday mornings? There's no rest in that kind of mindset.

Darron shared some insight with me on this very same passage. Jesus said that the lilies of the fields were clothed better than the most wealthiest king in all the world, Solomon. Imagine all the amazing designer gowns that America's actress gush over...hoping to don some famous designer's dress to the Grammy's or to the Oscars. Gowns worth tens of thousands. Yet the Lilly of the field, which is here today and will be dead tomorrow, God says those flowers are better dressed! Darron said to me, "We might think that it is lavish and wasteful to clothe a flower whose lifespan is so temporary. But God says to us, 'It's mine to dress.'"Aren't we, His people, much more valuable than the Lilly of the field?

I know that when I role the weight of the care upon the Lord and seek FIRST His Kingdom (God's way of doing things) and His righteousness, there is rest. I know that He has my back. He is my strong tower and my defense. He is my rear guard.

So before you take out a battery of prayer requests that you are ready to fire at the Lord all at once, why not crawl up into His lap and worship Him? I am really learning how to "live" a life of worship. Worship is not just what I do at church service or even in my personal quiet time moments with the Lord. Worship is what I say with my mouth about my God. May my life be a total confirmation of what I believe to be true about my God. He is the Great I AM!

P.S.--I've added a few wedding photos for those of you who weren't able to join us at our wedding celebration. Please enjoy. God gave Darron and I a debt-free wedding! Isn't God good?

1 comment: